This unique property located in the community of Hardwick, is comprised of four parcels totaling 359.5± acres subject to an Agricultural Preservation Restriction. The property, surrounded by stone walls, is quintessential New England. It’s comprised of 157± acres of hay fields, 145± acres of forest and the rest are pasture, small wetland and a pond. The main residence, which was built in 1910 and renovated in 1999, includes 3,390 square feet of living area divided into two apartments. Also included is a 1,344-square-foot caretaker’s house built in 1930, as well as a beautiful 14,000-square-foot former milking barn across the street, that has been renovated into a variety of uses including an office and a third apartment. Wonderful views and vistas abut the property along with abundant conserved land.
The property comes with nearly $250,000 of newer equipment required for growing and harvesting high quality hay, including 3 John Deere tractors, 2 balers, gyrorake, tedder, bale wrapper and 7 hay wagons. See the attached list for all equipment included in the sale.
Watch the video tour #2
- The main house has a 3,390-square-foot, beautiful terra cotta block building with a tile roof that is divided into two apartments and sits on the north side of Barre Road, across from the main barn. The west apartment has two bedrooms (each with its own full bath) upstairs, and a living room, office, kitchen and dining area, and a half-bath with washer/dryer on the first floor. There is a three-sided wrap-around porch, and access to the cellar is from the outside via a walk out. The east apartment is one bedroom with full bath upstairs, with a living room, kitchen, and dining area downstairs. Access to the cellar is from the inside and there is a three-sided wrap-around porch. Heat and hot water are propane, and septic and water are private.
- Second Home: There is a second 3-bedroom home that is in need of repair on the south side of Barre Road, which is within the APR lands, but available to be renovated on its existing footprint.
- The property consists of: 157 acres of hay fields, 145 acres of woodland, 28 acres of “wetland,” 4.5 acres of land occupied by buildings, and 15.5 acres of pasture. There is a number of existing structures on the property, including: a 14,000-square-foot barn, a two-family 3,390-square-foot house across the street from the barn, a 1,344-square-foot farm worker’s residence, a 3,400-square-foot Quonset Hut, and a 2,200-square-foot barn used for storage.
Horse Facility Features
- The large 14,000-square-foot former dairy barn has been renovated to hold farm equipment and workshops for wood and metal working, as well as storage. The first floor measures 180’ x 40 feet and is a large, open space with concrete flooring, insulated and equipped with electrical connections and lighting. Above is a matching space on the second floor, set up for storing hay. A 17-foot-high workshop extends out from the rear that is equipped for servicing large tractors and trucks. The former milk room wing near the front of the building has been renovated for offices on the first floor and a two-bedroom apartment on the second floor. There is a new roof (2018) and 110 solar panels on the barn that generates all the electricity the property can use and creates additional credits as well.
- QUONSET STORAGE BARN: This is a storage barn located at the southern end of the property on the east side of Upper Church Street
- STORAGE BARN: A second equipment barn is located to the west of the main house on the north side of Barre Road.
Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. Buyer to verify all information
228 Barre Rd, Hardwick, Worcester County, Massachusetts