Magnificent post & beam mountain treasure designed by architect Allen Brown on perhaps the best lot in the region. 180 degree panoramic VIEWS of incredible 100' waterfall, Fairfield Lake & mountains beyond. 7+ acres of privacy in exclusive Bald Rock with an incredible a Award Winning home. Property owners enjoy use of the Bald Rock Equestrian Center, with 2 large community barns for boarding, 9 paddocks, a riding ring, and trails throughout the community leading to the endless riding trails of the adjoining Panthertown National Forest Preserve. Paved and gated access in the Sapphire Valley Resort, Cashiers, North Carolina.
- The house is a custom home designed by local architect Allen Brown. It was built by Buddy Smith, of The Buildersmith, under the project management of Jack Watson, now owner of Mountain House Construction. The house was started in 2004 and completed in 2006. It won the 2006 N.C. Homebuilders Association Award for Outstanding Achievement for a Single-Family Detached Home.
- The home has many architectural features. To the extent possible, natural woods, stones and metals were used The foundation consists of poured concrete walls pinned to bedrock. Framing was done using 2”x6” boards. Hardwood flooring is antique heart pine reclaimed from a textile mill in Seneca, S.C. whose structural interior was removed. The boards are 5” and 7” wide and date to hundreds of years ago. Ceramic and glass tile are used throughout as well as granite, marble, slate, corion, stainless steel and copper. Many of the lamp shades and sconces were custom made utilizing mica and copper!
- Rooms on the main floor consist of a great room with a sitting and dining area, a large kitchen with a screened in porch off of the kitchen, pantry, laundry room, guest half bathroom, master suite with adjacent screened in porch, walk-in closet, and master bathroom.
- The ceilings in the great room are over 21’ high and the center beams date from the 1860s. There is a fireplace with a gas assist starter. Next to the fireplace is a built-in bookcase and entertainment center made from heart pine. The main entrance door is also made of heart pine and opens onto a blue stone portico. There is a large pass thru window from the kitchen to the dining area. A custom built hangar, made with copper and mica, lights the dining room table. Mica wall sconces accent the pass thru window. The entire south side of the great room consists of large windows and doors that open onto a deck that provides an unobstructed view of the outside beauty.
- The kitchen is large and open. Appliances include a 5 burner cook stove top with a warming drawer below and an updraft vent above. There is a double oven and a side by side refrigerator/ freezer, wine cooler, trash compactor, prep and kitchen sinks and automatic dishwasher. Both sinks have a garbage disposal. Kitchen cabinets are made from hickory and lighted display cases accent the area above the cabinets. Countertops are granite and glass tiles cover the walls above the countertops and below the cabinets. There is a built in breakfast nook.
- The screened in porch off of the kitchen offers a view of outdoor features. It has a fireplace with gas assist starter and a grill. There is a TV and an AV system linked to music and DVDs. The porch also provides access to the decks.
- Visuals from the master bedroom capture the waterfall, Bald Rock and Lake Fairfield. Doors open to the screened porch and during warm weather the sound of the falling water is a soporific for sleep. The upper deck can be accessed from the porch. There is a wall mounted television and a link to music and DVDs.
- The master bath has an open double shower and also a built in bench and shower head. The tub is equipped with air jets that add to a relaxing soak. There are 2 sinks with a marble countertop and large mirror. A skylight offers natural illumination. The master bath floor is heated. An adjacent walk in closet has ample space for clothes and accessories and contains a built in safe.
- The lower floor contains 2 bedrooms with a southerly view and access to a lower deck. There is a multipurpose room with a built in entertainment center, fireplace with gas assist starter and an area for exercise or yoga. The deck can be accessed from this room. There are 2 full baths. One is between the bedrooms and the other off of the multipurpose room. There is a sauna integrated into that bathroom. It is constructed from redwood from Oregon and has a slate floor. Finally, a mechanical room houses electrical panels, security mechanics and some AV equipment. A door from the mechanical room accesses a sub basement where a furnace, water heater, water purifier and other equipment is located.
- There is an office upstairs. It has a large 2 person desk made from wormy chestnut. The walls are partially panelled in wormy chestnut and there is a bookcase made of wormy chestnut. A storage room attaches to the office. In addition, there is a half bath upstairs and a large bonus room that could easily be converted into a bedroom or for other purpose.
- Outside, the house is covered by cedar applied in a board-on-board fashion. There is a front porch with Brazilian Ironwood (IPE) flooring. The porch is contiguous with the upper decking and all deck floors are also IPE. The porch is covered by a copper roof. The gutters and downspouts are 6” copper with wire mesh gutter guard. Draining water is conveyed away from the house by subterranean drainage pipes.
- There is a 2 car garage. The exterior of the garage is partially covered by cedar shingles and by cedar boards. A poured concrete retaining wall extends on the west side of the lower driveway, along the length of the west garage wall and partially along the south side of the garage. That wall is covered by the same stone used on the fireplaces. The interior of the garage has a storage closet, cabinetry and a workbench. There is a large upstairs room with a half bath. That room contains a 1950s 4.5’ by 9’ Brunswick championship pool table. The house and the garage have lightning protection.
- The driveway accesses the upper portion of the property. There are two lighted stone covered pillars at the entrance. Hardware and electricity for a gate are in place. The driveway also has ground level lighting for night time illumination. Water is available from 2 faucets on the south side of the drive. There is also a path that extends from behind the garage to the upper property. The path has stone steps on the uphill portion and is also lighted.
- A final outdoor feature are stone steps on the east side of the drive that lead to a lower level of land. There is another sub basement that can be accessed through an outside door. A second furnace and water heater are located in that area.
- Major household systems include water, heating and cooling, waste, audio-visual, security, internet and generator. Water is supplied from a communal well shared by 3 properties. A Water Association governs its use. A 450 gallon storage tank allows immediate access to needed water while a pump replenishes the supply. Inside of the house, there is a water purifier and 3 water heaters. Two of the water heaters are on demand.
- There are 2 forced air furnaces and 1 heat pump. Fuel for the furnaces and for kitchen appliances is propane gas stored in a 1,000 gallon and a 500 gallon in ground tank. The house has 4 different heating zones. These include the main floor that also has a separate zone for the master bedroom. There is another zone downstairs and a heat pump upstairs that also supplies heat/cooling to the upper room in the garage. Air conditioning is available throughout the house, when needed. Most rooms also have an overhead ceiling fan. Fresh air is readily available from screened in porches and open windows. There are 3 full and 3 half bathrooms. A septic system handles all waste. There is a 1,000 gallon septic tank and appropriate septic field located along the upper driveway.
- Audio visual systems include 3 televisions, 1 each in the multi purpose room, master bedroom and screened in porch. Satellite TV provides service. All TVs are connected to DVD players. Music is available from a quality turntable and from CD players. Sound can be provided throughout the home and individual controls in most rooms allow sound to be directed as desired. A security system, with 24 hour central monitoring, checks for fire and intrusion. Fire extinguishers are strategically located in the house and garage. The fire station is located 4 miles from the home. A gate to Bald Rock is closed and locked after 6 pm and controls access. Internet service is available from a local provider. Finally, a generator provides electricity to most of the house as needed. All of the major systems are maintained and serviced on an annual basis.
- The property is 7.7 acres located at 3,800’ altitude in the Blue Ridge Mountains near the eastern continental divide. It has a southerly view with a 180’ panorama of Maidenhaire Falls, Bald Rock Mountain, Lake Fairfield and mountains to the South. The natural beauty has been maintained and the house is surrounded by woods. There are many indigenous wild flowers and trees including healthy hemlocks. Deep Gap Trail, entrance to 6,300 acre Panthertown Valley, part of the Nantahala National Forest, is one mile away. It is possible to hike to 7 different waterfalls from the house.
- The surrounding land is protected from development in perpetuity; the visual beauty will live on! Land immediately below the house is common land that will never be built on. The property on top of Bald Rock Mountain is protected from development. Finally, 100 acres on the east side of Lake Fairfield has been acquired by the Merrie-Woode Foundation and placed in conservancy.
Horse Facility Features
- Amazing location in the incredible Bald Rock Equestrian Community. Adjoining land is available if owner prefers pasture and barn at the house. Or half of the equestrian residents in the community board the horses at the wonderful Bald Rock Equestrian Center, featuring 2 large well equipped stable, 9 turn-out paddocks and large riding ring, plus the Bald Rock trail system, which leads into the endless trails of the adjoining Panthertown Valley National Forest Preserve.
- 12.3 miles
- 3 miles
- .3 miles
Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed. Buyer to verify all information
190 Mica Ct, Sapphire, Jackson County, North Carolina